PacketMaker II Traffic Generator for Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)
The SAS PacketMaker II (PM2) is a versatile SAS traffic generator with an integrated SAS recorder. The PM2 allows the user to send any frame types currently defined in the SAS specification. The PM2 also is designed to generate illegal frames, illegal handshaking illegal transmission characters and bit-level errors to assist the user in debugging and verification of SAS products. The PM2 can also interface with SATA devices using the Serial ATA Tunneled Protocol (STP). The PM2 will come in a 1x and 4x version.
- Four 1.5 Gb/s Full Duplex SAS Ports - A card can generate and receive traffic on 1 to 4 links configured to be either SAS or SATA only.
- Protocol Support - Supports SSP, SMP, and STP protocols.
- Sequence Control Packets - Send packets, wait-for packets, branch packets, compare packets and more.
- Hot-Plug Connectivity - Simulates hot-plug events by forcing the Tx lines into common-mode voltage.
- Control / Command Registers - Allows user to modify all SAS Control and Command Registers.
- Data Sream Creation - Enables easy payload generation using several data streams, including walking 1s, incrementing patterns, random patterns, and user files.
- Programmable Error Generation - Capable of sending many types of bit and protocol errors.
- Dynamic Error Injection - Allows user insertion of errors onto the SAS bus in real time.
- Event Logging - Logs several key events, such as Errors Transmitted and Data Mis-compares.
- Activity Log - Contains the information received and transmitted on the links in the past 1 ms.
- Wait States - User may set the amount of time to wait before sending the next packet. This can range from 26.67 ns to 8 hours.
- Built-In Diagnostics - Verifies device functionality using built-in diagnostics such as a Power On Self Test or Out of Band Signaling.
- Card Synchronization - Two cards can be synchronized to allow up to 8 links for wide port traffic generation and reception
- Monitoring Interfaces - Additional tools include Mictor connectors to monitor PHY activity, probe test points, and an auxiliary power connector
- Trigger Out - Trigger out packets which allow placement of trigger points within any location in a packet stream.
Packet Development Software - Simple to use GUI interface that easily allows creation and generation of packet streams as well as bus monitoring.
API Toolkit - Provides an API (Application Programming Interface) toolkit to generate packet streams and send traffic using C functions.
The PM2 is designed to be used in PC compatible systems with the following characteristics:
- Windows® XP Professional or Windows 2000 Professional operating system
- Intel® Pentium® IV 2.0 GHz or faster processor
- A minimum of 256 MB system RAM
- 32 or 64 bit PCI bus socket for insertion of PM2, operating at 33 or 66 MHz. (most PCI-X sockets are capable of 66 MHz operation)
- PC case capable of accommodating a PCI board 5.7 inches in height (not including fingers).